Maple Grove Probate Attorneys
Probate isn’t necessarily good or bad. It’s only a process where there is court supervision of the resolution of a deceased person’s estate. As with any process, completing it requires taking specific steps in a specific order. The difficulty for most people comes from trying to learn this unfamiliar and sometimes complicated process while also grieving the recent loss of a close family member. For this reason alone, probate often feels overwhelming.
At Mundahl Law, our guidance for navigating the probate process in Hennepin County and the surrounding area of central Minnesota will allow you to focus on your loved ones rather than worrying about mundane legal matters. In some cases, probate may not be required. In others, a greatly simplified version can be used. This will depend on the size of the estate, the assets involved, how those assets were owned, and other factors.
How the Probate Process Works in Minnesota
While some particulars can vary by county and whether it is a formal or informal probate, the general steps include:
- Identifying, gathering and assessing the value of the estate’s probate assets
- Opening the probate case by filing a petition and certain other legal documents with the appropriate probate court
- Notifying creditors, potential heirs, potential beneficiaries, and appropriate government agencies
- Settling debts to creditors and paying taxes
- Distributing the remainder of the estate assets in accordance with the decedent’s will or in accordance with Minnesota’s intestate laws if there is not a will
- Closing the estate
Work With Experienced, Compassionate Minnesota Probate Attorneys
You don’t have to navigate the probate process alone; we are here to help. Having experienced legal counsel can help you resolve a probate matter more quickly and efficiently, and with less stress. Located in Maple Grove, Mundahl Law serves Hennepin County and the surrounding areas of Minnesota, including St. Michael, Rogers, and Buffalo. We invite you to contact us online or via phone at (763) 575-7930. We look forward to working with you.