The Less-Stress Divorce
- Do my spouse and I agree that a divorce is necessary?
- Are we largely in agreement on major issues such as child custody, parenting time and property division?
- Can we have rational, emotionally mature conversations about the issues we still haven’t completely resolved?
- Do we trust each other enough to cooperate on this and do the legwork ourselves?
If you answered “yes” to these questions or believe that you can get to “yes” – then we can help you and your spouse move to a better emotional and financial position and start your new life.
- Will it work in my case?
- How would it work?
- What are the benefits?
- How much will it cost?
Will it work in my case?
Honesty and trust are absolutely essential to a less stressful divorce. Without them, you would both be better served by following the traditional divorce process where each of you has a lawyer and the lawyers handle most, if not all of the communications.
A traditional divorce path will also likely be better if you are dealing with any of the following:
- Domestic violence or abuse issues, documented or not
- Addiction issues
- Serious mental health concerns
- A Child Protective Services case
- Spousal maintenance claims
- Complex assets such as business ownership, stock options, time shares
- Significant disagreements about child custody, parenting time or property division
- Contested non-marital property issues
How Would It Work?
We can’t ethically represent both spouses in a divorce. This means that only one of you will sign a retainer agreement with Mundahl Law. But that doesn’t mean we are here to work against the interests of your spouse, or that your spouse will be at a disadvantage if an agreement isn’t reached.
Remember, the two of you will be responsible for the heavy lifting here – gathering the documents, talking it all out together, and coming to an agreement. To do this, you will need to trust each other. You will need to be honest. And you both will need to be fully committed to our Less-Stress Divorce process.
Our role is as follows: 1) to educate and help you understand what’s going to be required in your case, 2) to review the agreement and identify potential problems, 3) to write out the final agreement with clarity in a format that the Courts will accept, and 4) to explain, clarify or offer guidance on any issues you might get stuck on along the way.
The Benefits of the Less-Stress Divorce
- Less stress, number one.
- You know what your divorce will cost you up front.
- You retain maximum control over the process.
- The start-to-finish divorce timeline is much shorter.
In addition to those benefits, you will find that reaching an agreement this way provides dignity and privacy. Getting divorced this way minimizes the likelihood of future problems after the divorce. This process minimizes the potential for long-term psychological, emotional and spiritual damage that goes hand-in-hand with battling it out in court.
How Much Will It Cost?
The flat fee cost will depend on your situation and specific needs.
If you do not have any children or real estate, no spousal support issues and you have an agreement on how to divide your personal property, financial assets, and debts – we will draft a Joint Petition or Stipulated Judgment and Decree for a flat fee of $1,500. This includes step-by-step instructions, easy-to-use worksheets, informational materials, the filing fee, one round of revisions to the document(s), and general guidance and communications throughout.
Other common situations for which you would pay an additional tiered flat fee include:
- You have no minor children, but you do own a home
- You have minor children, but you do not own a home
- You have both minor children and a home
We also provide add-on services that tailor these packages to the unique needs of each family. These include: Additional Service of Process; Ownership of Two or More Properties; Real Estate Conveyancing (via Summary Real Estate Disposition Judgments and Quit Claim Deeds); Retirement Asset Division.
Contact Us to Schedule your Initial 30-Minute Consultation
Are you a good candidate for the Less-Stress Divorce? Do you need to know more before making a decision?
Call or contact our Maple Grove law offices and schedule an initial informal half-hour meeting with one of our experienced family law attorneys. We are here to help you.